Flyer has a photo of Shirley with curly brown hair and a warm smile. The logo of Relational Somatic healing is on the left with a flight (or murmuration) of birds taking off together from the middle.
Embodied Touch in Psychotherapy
Lead teacher: Shirley Dvir, MFT, PhD student
Embodied touch can be applied safely and ethically in psychotherapy. While verbal psychotherapy can feel limited to clients with developmental trauma, integrating safe touch with talk therapy can allow clients to reach deeper levels of healing. Touch can convey messages on a somatic level such as “you are not alone”, “I got your back”, and “you are held” which enhance integration of developmental trauma.
What will you learn?
- The ethics and benefits of touch in psychotherapy
- Bridging talk therapy and touch-based psychotherapy
- The physiology of developmental trauma
- Trauma, safety, and regulation
- Touch in the therapeutic relationship
- Shifting the focus in psychotherapy from wounding to healing
- Immersing clients in a full, body-mind healing relationship
- 4 hour online training on the ethics of touch in psychotherapy
- 5 day-long, in-person touch training including immersive hands-on practice
This training is open to students who completed the RSH Beyond Attachment program.
We have a limited number of spaces.
Zoom: May 5th, 9:00am-1:00pm
In-Person: May 17th, 10:30am-5:30pm
May 18th-May 21st, 9:30am-5:00pm
Location: 2149 Byron St, Berkeley, CA 94702
Payment plan and CE’s available
For application or any inquiries please email RelationalSomaticHealing@gmail.com
Relational Somatic Healing: Embodied Touch in Psychotherapy - Live/Online and in-person
Touch, the language of the body, can reach the deepest layers of our clients’ wounding and healing. Verbal psychotherapy can feel limited to clients, especially those who continue to suffer with significant challenges to their emotional, mental, and physical health. Safe, embodied touch allows us to bring healing to the physiology of attachment, character, developmental trauma, and many other aspects of our clients’ experience that we cannot reach with talk therapy alone. This training will be rooted in the foundational elements, practiced in RSH Bonding Beyond Attachment training.
Relational Somatic Healing is a clinical training appropriate for healthcare professionals as well as the general public. Healthcare professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients.
Please note: This course does include activities that are not offered for CE credits. These include meditations, groundings, and small group connections and discussions. Participants must attend every session live. According to APA rules, no partial credits are given for missed trainings.
When and where:
May 5th (9am-1pm) via Zoom and
May 17th, May 18th, May 19th, May 20th, May 21th in-person
In-Person Hours: Wed: 10:30am-5:30pm. Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun: 9:30am - 5:00pm.
Location: 2149 Byron St, Berkeley, CA 94702
Faculty: Shirley Dvir, LMFT;
Cost: $1,950 and $55 for 18 CE credits
Participants need to cancel up to 2 weeks in advance to receive a 100% refund. If canceled after the 2-weeks-in-advance period they can use the credit for a future training or receive a 50% refund. Program Admin: email@example.com
- Describe the components for ethical, safe touch in psychotherapy.
- Discuss the impact of ongoing consent.
- Utilize clear boundaries between clients and therapists.
- Identify contraindications of touch in psychotherapy.
- Discuss the impact of systems of oppression and privilege on therapeutic touch work.
- Describe the benefits of touch in psychotherapy.
- Apply Being as an inner state of the therapist.
- Utilize therapeutic holds in practice sessions.
- Demonstrate use of therapeutic presence in touch work.
- Identify the difference between open and closed systems.
- Assess the presence of developmental trauma.
- Apply basic knowledge of anatomy.
- Identify the three layers of wounding: safety, nourishment and freedom.
- Use receiving and naming to support the unfolding of the practice sessions.
- Demonstrate ability to follow countertransference and own comfort level with touch.
- Utilize Developmental map to steer toward healing and repair.
- Apply healing nourishing experience with safe touch.
- Demonstrate understanding of protective parts.
This course is designed for mental health professionals – PsyDs, PhDs, LMFTs, LMSWs, LPCC, and LEP.
Accommodations for the Differently Able
We are committed to making every accommodation we can outside of the physical limitations of zoom. Individuals needing special accommodations are encouraged to contact Yevgenia Kirnos Boccieri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We seek to ensure equitable treatment of every person and to make every attempt to resolve grievances in a fair manner. Please submit a written grievance to email@example.com. Grievances would receive, to the best of our ability, corrective action in order to prevent further problems.
Information on Continuing Education Credit for Health Professionals
- CE credits for psychologists are provided by Polaris Insight Center, which is co-sponsoring this program. Polaris Insight Center is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Polaris Insight Center maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for LCSW, LPCC, LEP, and LMFT license renewal for programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- LCSWs, MFTs, and other mental health professionals from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board as to whether or not they accept programs offered by approved sponsors of CE by the American Psychological Association.
- For questions about receiving your Certificate of Attendance, contact our training coordinator, Relational Somatic Healing’s Yevgenia Kirnos Boccieri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For other questions about CEs, visit www.polarisinsight.com or contact Samantha at email@example.com
Relational Somatic Healing
2915 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Berkeley CA, 94703